Product Development Manager
Posted 10 Mar 2023
Closes 9 Apr 2023
P.Johnson is a men’s & women’s tailor and clothier established in Sydney in 2009 with showrooms in New York, London, Sydney, and Melbourne and our own atelier in Tuscany.
Through our passion for beautiful clothes we help our clients build elegant and concise wardrobes and guide them towards a naturally cultivated style. We believe our approach produces a waste free and low impact environmental footprint in both our business and our customer’s wardrobes.
Alongside clothing, we also source and purvey an ever-growing pool of other artisanal and unique goods that contribute to ‘a life well lived’.
Our custom tailoring draws upon traditional Italian practices honed at our Sartoria Carrara atelier in Tuscany. Our tailoring is beautiful, soft and elegant. Our suits are constructed by traditional means to ensure a natural drape and freshness.
Product Development Manager Role
As a Product Development Manager at P.Johnson, you will be collaborating with the design team ensuring design concepts are developed, communicated and produced. You will be responsible for the product development process from design concept, tech packs, communication with production, coordination of fabric and trims, ensuring styles are constructed cost effectively, meeting deadlines and liaising with manufacturing partners daily to ensure requests are delivered and fulfilled.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Minimum 3+ years experience in a similar product development role.
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign)
- Ability to work in alongside the design team and creative founder, understanding and interpreting their creative aesthetic and design vision and translating this to teams and production partners
- Experience in developing multi product clothing collections. Women’s clothing experience is beneficial.
- Able to work both independently and part of a team
- Strong organisational skills, experience of working in a fast paced environment
- Strong knowledge of fabrics and technical components
- Experience within a luxury clothing brand preferred
- Ability to prioritise, manage and coordinate multiple activities simultaneously
- Stress-resilient and solution oriented
- A strong eye for detail and high level of accuracy
- An understanding of complex garment construction, tailoring and cut-and-sew
- Maintaining good relationships and communication with our suppliers
- Tenacious, assertive and determined attitude with excellent attention to detail
- Good negotiation, organisational and problem-solving skills
- Dedicated, hardworking and committed person willing to progress as the company grows
- Passionate about the product
- Demonstrates taste level that aligns with the brand
- Building and maintaining a close working relationship with design and production teams.
- Day to day monitoring of production/development progress with factories
- Responsible for delivering initials and samples on time, to the quality standard, and within cost price range
- Oversee critical path from initial development, sourcing, sketches, costing production and final delivery.
- Improve efficiency and help set up standards to avoid errors
- Responsible for ensuring functionality and ensuring products are developed that are fit for purpose for the customer, brand and business
- Drive innovation and develop/source fabrications prior to each season working closely with design to ensure their vision is executed
- Continually research raw materials, trims etc working with suppliers and vendors to build on materials library and relationships
- Source reference materials and contribute to mood boards
- Good knowledge of fabric and trim testing against testing requirements
- Garment care labels and instructions by style
- Working with the designers for tech pack handover and ensuring all tech packs are created and sent to manufacturers in line with agreed deadline
- Communicate changes after each stage of sampling to the manufacturers in terms of fit, fabrication and trims
- Supporting sales team with product information
Please email email@example.com and include a resume and cover letter explaining your suitability for the role.