Performance Space Marketing Manager
Posted 10 Mar 2023
Closes 9 Apr 2023
Hours: Part Time Contract (see schedule below)
Basis of employment: One year contract, with the possibility of extension
Salary range:$70-80,000 per annum, depending on experience, Pro-rata, plus superannuation
Employment conditions: Four (4) weeks annual leave
Performance Space’s standard Terms and Conditions of Employment form part of this job description.
Applications close 5pm Monday 3rd and interviews will be held 5th, 6th and 11th April.
Performance Space is the crucible for risk-taking artists. Emerging over 35 years ago in response to artists’ articulated desire to explore and investigate new forms of art, Performance Space has consistently identified, nurtured and presented new directions in contemporary practice. We champion risk, experimentation, and new modes of creative expression. Performance Space continues to evolve and renew to meet the needs of the independent sector and explore new models for developing and presenting the most critical and important new work.
The breadth of our organisational and artistic activity is informed and underpinned by a commitment to diversity. Performance Space embraces a diversity of artistic and cultural perspectives as being fundamental to a vibrant and engaging experimental arts culture. We therefore privilege the work of First Nations artists, practitioners from diverse cultural backgrounds, artists exploring new takes on sex and gender, disability and artists pushing the boundaries of the human through experiments with new technology.
To be a world leading experimental arts organisation, championing new developments in artistic practice and connecting artists and audiences with the most dynamic and innovative new work across the Asia Pacific to expand our understanding of what contemporary art can be.
Performance Space is supported by the Australian Government through the Australia Council, its arts funding and advisory body and the New South Wales Government through Arts NSW. Performance Space is an anchor tenant at Carriageworks.
Liveworks Festival of Experimental Art is Performance Space’s annual major presentation season, spanning two weeks in October and activating the entire Carriageworks precinct: every theatre, gallery and studio space as well as the public and exterior spaces of the building. Throughout these spaces, Liveworks presents the most exciting new artists and works from across Australia and the Asia-Pacific region in an intensive festival environment. Liveworks has already found a unique place in Australia’s arts ecology: fostering the most innovative new developments in contemporary art in the region, and connecting them with a broad, diverse and growing audience.
Under the supervision of the CEO, the Marketing Manager works to increase Performance Space’s profile, audiences and supporter base. The Marketing Manager is the primary point of contact between Performance Space and our audience, subscribers, ticket buyers and key stakeholders; in particular, donors, funders, sponsors and philanthropic organisations.
Working strategically with the CEO, Artistic Directors and Head of Programming the Marketing Manager manages the delivery of Performance Space’s marketing and communications plan. This role thinks innovatively about new ways to engage our audiences and stakeholders. This role oversees all areas of communication including social media, e-news, website, print communications, media and working with internal and external partners. The Marketing Manager also works closely with the Developement Manager to maintain consistent branding and tone of voice, across supporter communications.
Marketing Manager Duties:
- Creates and delivers a marketing strategy for Performance Space which includes innovative ideas delivered across platforms to grow and retain audiences while showcasing the diverse work of the organisation.
- Creates and delivers a marketing strategy for Performance Space’s annual Liveworks Festival of Experimental Art which includes sales strategies, marketing and ticketing timelines, diverse messaging, cross promotion, printed promotion and achieving KPIs
- Creates and delivers the marketing strategy to support our year round programming, including a range of artist development program EOIs and call outs, LIVE DREAMS, and similar public presentations outside of Liveworks.
- Works closely with the Artistic Director and General Manager to develop and implement innovative campaigns and engagement platforms in a changing environment
- Maintains a vibrant online presence for Performance Space through the maintenance and growth of our website, social networks, listings and other digital marketing
- Designs print and digital marketing assets to increase Performance Space’s profile and grow our audience
- Coordinates advertising for Performance Space’s Liveworks Festival of Experimental Art
- In consultation with the CEO is responsible for the annual marketing budget
- Manages the Marketing Coordinator (festival contract) June-November who assists in the implementation of the marketing strategy
- Manages the Ticketing Coordinator (festival contract) Aug-November
- Manages key relationships with our publicist, the Carriageworks marketing team, external designers, marketing and media consultants, as well as any staff and volunteers working on marketing and development projects
- Implements and manages audience research strategies including focus groups and online survey
- Assists the Development Manager to maintain consistency across all supporter communications, including branding, look-and-feel and tone of voice.
- Management of The Works, creative agency relationship to roll out the 40 year Anniversary campaign in 2023.
- Reporting on all campaigns and drawing useful insights from the data available for future planning.
It is essential that the Marketing Manager has:
- Outstanding relationship management and communication skills
- Exceptional copywriting, editing and verbal communication skills and significant experience in this area
- Experience in Adobe Creative Suite, (Indesign or Illustrator), with some design knowledge.
- The ability to strategise in a changing environment
- Skills and experience in strategic thinking and planning
- Project management and proven delivery of long term strategy.
- Experience in developing effective marketing collateral across print and electronic media
- Strong experience in project management and event delivery
- Knowledge of the arts and in particular experimental and contemporary arts
- Proven research and analysis skills
- Ability to draw insight from marketing and audience data to make strategic decisions
- Demonstrated initiative and an ability to problem solve in the work-place
- Experience in managing budgets
- Experience managing staff and external contractors and suppliers.
- Excellent marketing digital skills including:
- website management (experience in Umbraco a bonus)
- EDM program
- experience working with Mac computers
- Adobe suite; especially InDesign and Photoshop
- office suite
It is desirable that the Marketing & Development Manager has:
- Video editing experience
- Experience working in a small or non-profit organisation
- Experience managing client-to-agency relationships
3 days per week until June 30
4 days per week July-November
3 days per week December-June
To enquire about this position, please call Stella Kirkby, Senior Marketing and Development Manager on 0434 892 209 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close 5pm Monday 3rd and interviews will be held 5th, 6th and 11th April.
To apply for the Marketing Manager role please send us:
- A curriculum vitae (cv) of no more than two pages
- A statement of no more than two pages that:
– Addresses why you would like to work for Performance Space
– Illustrates how your skills, knowledge and experience match the duties and role specifications.
- Please ensure your full contact details including phone number and postal address, are included in your CV or covering email.
- Please provide all attachments as PDFs.
We will only accept applications by email. Please use the subject line ‘Marketing Manager application – Name’. Email your application to email@example.com
Performance Space is committed to equality and diversity, through our program of activities and as an employer. Our practices and procedures aim to reflect the varied needs, expectations and culture of all members of our community. We make every effort to ensure that no member of the community receives less favourable treatment in our recruitment or when accessing our services on the grounds of gender, gender identity, disability, race, religion or belief, age or sexual orientation.
- Contact Name: Stella Kirkby
- Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org