Managing Editor (Web3 Publication)
Pedestrian Group (Winner – Publishing Company of the Year, Mumbrella Publish Awards 2021) is on the hunt for a detail-oriented Managing Editor to help lead an Australian-first publication centred on all things Web3.
Reporting to the Head of Editorial, the Managing Editor will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the editorial team: setting the daily news agenda, managing the team’s output and workflow, top-editing content as necessary and helping drive strategies to achieve growth across both site and social.
This is a senior role best suited to an experienced Editor with excellent organisational and management skills, enthusiasm around creating more efficient editorial processes, strategic problem-solving and decision-making skills, and an obsessive interest in all things Web3 and its potential to impact the way we live, across culture, finance, business and more.
The Managing Editor will be required to:
- Work with the Publisher and Head of Editorial to set the voice and editorial strategy for this exciting new publication
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the editorial team, including overseeing a team of journalists to ensure quality output to deadline across each key coverage area, including business, finance and culture
- Work with the Head of Editorial and the Senior Audience Growth & Insights Manager to develop and drive audience acquisition strategies for the publication and its relevant platforms
- Work with the SEO Manager to ensure that all content is optimised and follows best practice
- Oversee all day-to-day administrative matters, legal concerns, and personnel issues for the editorial team
- Undertake standard editorial duties (editing, rewriting, generating story ideas) as needed
- Foster relationships with key advertisers through attendance and, on occasion, participation at industry events
- Manage the editorial team’s broader content calendar – including planning coverage for notable events within the Web3 space
The position calls for someone with:
- Demonstrated experience in, and an understanding of, Web3 with a finger firmly on the pulse of the latest news and developments in blockchain
- Proven journalism experience, ideally in a capacity where you’ve helped shape the tone of voice and content for a brand
- Demonstrated experience managing and mentoring staff writers, giving constructive feedback on ideas, stories, and style
- The ability to work in a fast paced, dynamic environment, reacting quickly and appropriately
- Exceptional editing skills, with an acute attention to detail
- Superior judgement and discretion
- Strong understanding of SEO
This is a full-time role based out of Pedestrian Group’s offices in either Sydney or Melbourne.
To apply, please submit your CV and cover letter detailing why you are the right fit for this role.
We can’t wait to meet you.
*About Pedestrian Group*
Pedestrian Group is Australia’s leading youth-centred publisher, reaching a unique audience of more than 4.16 million Aussies per month, and more 18 to 39-year-olds than any other publisher. It’s home to PEDESTRIAN.TV, VICE Australia, Refinery29 Australia, Lifehacker Australia, Gizmodo Australia, and Kotaku Australia, as well as Open Air Cinemas. It is wholly owned by Nine Entertainment Co., Australia’s largest and most diverse media company.