Managing Editor - Refinery29 (Maternity Leave Contract)
Pedestrian Group (Winner – Publishing Company of the Year, Mumbrella Publish Awards 2021) is on the hunt for a detail-oriented Managing Editor to help lead the continued growth of Refinery29 Australia; Australia’s leading publication for women and underrepresented people, on a full-time 13-month maternity leave contract.
Reporting to the Head of Editorial, the Managing Editor will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the editorial team: setting the daily production agenda, managing the team’s output and workflow, top-editing content as necessary and helping drive strategies to achieve growth across both site and social.
This is a senior role best suited to an experienced Editor with excellent organisational and management skills, enthusiasm around creating more efficient editorial processes, strategic problem-solving and decision-making skills, and an obsessive interest in all things that matter to young women and gender-diverse people.
The Managing Editor will be required to:
- Work closely with the Head of Editorial to constantly challenge the team to conceive and execute the most cutting-edge content online, creating sharp programming that is voicey, shareable, and new, while being on brand for Refinery29 and deliver on traffic goals
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the editorial team, including overseeing a team of journalists to ensure quality output to deadline across each key coverage area, including Style, Beauty, Entertainment, Work & Money and Wellness
- Work with the Head of Editorial and the Senior Audience Growth & Insights Manager to develop and drive audience acquisition strategies for the publication and its relevant platforms
- Work with the SEO Manager to ensure that all content is optimised and follows best practice
- Oversee all day-to-day administrative matters, legal concerns and personnel issues for the editorial team
- Foster relationships with key advertisers through attendance and, on occasion, participation at industry events
- Work with the Head of Editorial to build existing franchises and series into major content moments both on and offline for R29AU
- Identify and grow commercially attractive audience segments
- Manage the editorial team’s broader content calendar, including planning coverage and managing deadlines for notable seasonal and one-off events and cultural moments
- Track and reconcile the commissioning budget
- Along with the Head of Editorial, act as a liaison between branded content and editorial teams, approving pitch concepts, providing feedback and tweaking as needed
- Undertake standard editorial duties (writing, editing, rewriting, generating story ideas) as needed
The position calls for someone with:
- Demonstrated experience in digital media (ideally women’s media) with a finger firmly on the pulse of the latest news and developments in the space
- Demonstrated experience managing and mentoring staff writers, giving constructive feedback on ideas, stories, and style
- The ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, reacting quickly and appropriately
- Exceptional editing skills, with an acute attention to detail
- Superior judgement and discretion
- Strong understanding of SEO
This is a full-time role based out of Pedestrian Group’s offices in either Sydney or Melbourne.
To apply, please submit your CV and cover letter detailing why you are the right fit for this role.
Refinery29 is the leading media and entertainment company focused on women and underrepresented voices, with a global audience footprint of 249 million across all platforms. Through a variety of lifestyle stories, original video programming, social, shareable content, and live experiences, Refinery29 provides its audience with the inspiration and tools to discover and pursue a more independent, stylish, and informed life. Please visit Refinery29 Australia for more information and to browse content. You can also visit our other international editions including the US, UK, France and Germany.
*About Pedestrian Group*
Pedestrian Group is Australia’s leading youth-centred publisher, reaching a unique audience of more than 4.16 million Aussies per month, and more 18 to 39-year-olds than any other publisher. It’s home to PEDESTRIAN.TV, VICE Australia, Refinery29 Australia, Lifehacker Australia, Gizmodo Australia, and Kotaku Australia, as well as Open Air Cinemas. It is wholly owned by Nine Entertainment Co., Australia’s largest and most diverse media company.