Living & Wellness Writer - Refinery29 Australia
Pedestrian Group (Winner – Publishing Company of the Year, Mumbrella Publish Awards 2021) is on the hunt for a Living & Wellness Writer to be part of the continued growth of Refinery29 Australia, Australia’s leading publication for women and underrepresented people.
Do you follow every home, health, astrology and work culture trend on TikTok? Do your friends come to you for relationship and sex advice? Do you know your moon cycles from your moon phases? Are you brave enough to test out the latest wacky wellness fad? If all of the above interests you and you’re looking to break into the fast-paced and ever-evolving world of living and wellness, this is your dream job.
Reporting to the Head of Editorial for Refinery29 Australia, the writer will be well-versed in all things living, sex, wellness and work, and the complex ways these intersect with identity, culture and self-expression. We’re looking for a strong writer who has endless ideas and is inspired to try new things. The Living & Wellness Writer will be excited to rethink how we cover these topics through a hyper-local lens for Refinery29 Australia’s audience through a mix of original features, columns, personal essays and shopping content.
Our dream candidate will be fiercely passionate about making a space where all women and gender-diverse people see and feel themselves represented. They will be as comfortable writing a story about planetary retrogrades as they are trawling TikTok for wellness trends on the cusp of blowing up, investigating how trans sex education can illuminate political issues or interviewing an expert on how to increase libido.
The Living & Wellness Writer will be required to:
- Write 2-3 stories per day
- Work with the Head of Editorial & Managing Editor to set the agenda for Refinery29’s conversation-driving coverage of living and wellness trends
- Conceptualise unique ways to cover the biggest living, wellness and work & money stories of the day ‘the Refinery29 way’, moving the conversation forward at every turn
- Grow and maintain an incredible network of contributors who reflect Australia’s diversity
- Write, pitch and edit copy quickly and accurately under tight deadlines
- Source and integrate products into feature and gallery-style pieces
- Support commercial partnerships by attending brainstorms as needed and creating editorial packages that help drive sales revenue
- Interview the most interesting names in the living, wellness and work & money spaces, both globally and locally
- Represent Refinery29 at industry events as required
- Platform content on Refinery29 Australia’s social channels including but not limited to TikTok, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter
The position calls for someone with:
- 2+ years’ experience writing living and/or wellness content, ideally with some commentary and opinion mixed in
- Positive, intuitive/proactive and collaborative team player
- Superior judgement and discretion
- Deep understanding of the diversity and intersectionality of young polycultural audiences
- Strong industry contacts or an eagerness to forge strong relationships
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
This is a full-time role based out of Pedestrian Group’s offices in either Sydney or Melbourne.
If this sounds like your dream job, send us your CV and a cover letter outlining why you’re the perfect fit.
Refinery29 is the leading media and entertainment company focused on women and underrepresented voices, with a global audience footprint of 249 million across all platforms. Through a variety of lifestyle stories, original video programming, social, shareable content, and live experiences, Refinery29 provides its audience with the inspiration and tools to discover and pursue a more independent, stylish, and informed life. Please visit Refinery29 Australia for more information and to browse content. You can also visit our other international editions including the US, UK, France and Germany.
*About Pedestrian Group*
Pedestrian Group is Australia’s leading youth-centred publisher, reaching a unique audience of more than 4.16 million Aussies per month, and more 18 to 39-year-olds than any other publisher. It’s home to PEDESTRIAN.TV, VICE Australia, Refinery29 Australia, Lifehacker Australia, Gizmodo Australia, and Kotaku Australia, as well as Open Air Cinemas. It is wholly owned by Nine Entertainment Co., Australia’s largest and most diverse media company.