Sydney - CBD/Metro/Inner East & West
Posted 18 Jan 2023
Closes 17 Feb 2023
Position Title: In-house Designer
Reporting to: Campaign Manager, Head of Marketing
Contract Dates: 06 March 2023 – 16 June 2023
Hours of Work: 5 days per week, Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm with an understanding that Festival work will require some out of hours work which is considered for in the remuneration. This role is based in The Rocks, Sydney.
Remuneration: $60,000pa (pro rata) +10.5% Superannuation contribution
The Sydney Film Festival (SFF) is one of the longest running events of its kind in the world.
The annual June Festival brings the best new films from Australia and around the world to audiences in Sydney. As well as 250+ features, shorts, retros, and documentaries from over 50 countries across 350+ sessions at around eight Sydney-wide venues across 12 days. The Festival is celebrating its 70th Festival in 2023 between 7 – 18 June.
The Festival hosts several awards to recognise excellence in filmmaking, including the Official Competition, Documentary Australia Foundation Award for Australian Documentary, and Dendy Awards for Australian Short Films (which are Academy Award eligible) incorporating fiction, animation, and screenplay categories.
SFF also presents the Travelling Film Festival, taking mini festivals to 19 venues across regional NSW, the Northern Territory and regional Queensland. SFF receives funding from federal, state, and local government, corporate sponsorship, and philanthropic donations.
OVERVIEW OF THE POSITION
The In-House Designer is responsible for creation and delivery of creative assets for the Sydney Film Festival including but not limited to invitations, advertisements and other visual materials for use in both print and online, using Adobe Creative Suite and other software as required.
The position working alongside the official SFF Design Agency, The Frost* Collective, who work off-site. This position will take signed off templates created by TFC and populate them with content according to agreed guidelines (copy, images and design elements), as well as design original materials based on approved style guides.
During key Festival campaign dates (teaser & program launch) and when additional communications opportunities arise, work outside normal office hours may be required.
The key tasks and responsibilities of the In-house Designer are:
• Adding copy, images and date/time/venue/etc for template-based ads for print publications including the SMH, street press and magazines of various formats and spec requirements, sometimes to very tight deadlines (distress advertising).
• Creation of multiple mini-guides
• Creation of print materials including simple signage for SFF screening and event venues.
• Creating banners, towers, headers, GIFS, leaderboards and other format online advertisements for use on third-party websites/eNewsletters according to agreed templates and parameters.
• Creating Social Media advertising for use across all SFF SM channels.
• Creating Home Page Tiles, Page Headers and other graphic devices as required for use on SFF website.
• Creating or reformatting lead, secondary and story images for SFF eNewsletter.
• Create invitations for a wide range of SFF events including Program Launch, Opening & Closing Nights, Development and Philanthropy using agreed templates and design elements.
SLIDES & PRESENTATIONS
• Create slides for use in Powerpoint and Keynote presentations as required for all departments.
• Create collateral for use during the Festival, including lanyard passes, ticket and drink vouchers and other required collateral.
• Pull up banners used for signage, sponsor acknowledgment and advertising.
In addition, the In-House Designer may perform other duties as assigned and required by SFF.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
• Attention to detail, with strong organisational and time management skills.
• Excellent skills in Adobe Suite including Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.
• Demonstrated ability to plan, prioritise and meet strict deadlines.
• Relevant experience in the arts or entertainment or within an advertising, design or media agency.
• Experience of working as part of a team in a busy event environment.
• A flexible attitude to working hours.
• A self-starter who can work independently.
• Previous experience working in events in the arts or a cultural organization.
• An interest in film.
• Experience of HTML, Flash and other online design software.
• Team Focus: Is committed and skilled at working with and assisting others to achieve positive outcomes
• Flexible: Demonstrates a willingness to take on new challenges roles and responsibilities and adapt positively to changing working conditions and priorities
• Self Starting: Highly motivated to achieve, shows initiative and acts proactively to deliver excellent results without directive supervision
• Interpersonal: Skilled at building rapport, understanding others needs and developing effective working relationships
Please send your CV and cover letter addressing the selection criteria and your suitability for the role to email@example.com
Applications close 9am, Monday Jan 30 2023
Interviews to commence shortly after application closing date
SFF is an inclusive workplace and encourages applicants of all abilities and backgrounds.
- Contact Name: Joshua Forward
- Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org