Commissioning Editor - The Chainsaw
Posted 19 Sep 2022
Closes 19 Oct 2022
Pedestrian Group (Winner – Publishing Company of the Year, Mumbrella Publish Awards 2021) is seeking a talented and well-connected Commissioning Editor to join the team behind The Chainsaw, Australia’s first Web3-focused publication.
Reporting to the Head of Editorial and working closely with the Managing Editor, the Commissioning Editor will be focused on identifying and platforming key and emerging voices in the Web3/blockchain space on the brand’s site and associated socials, commissioning and editing everything from daily news hits to larger features and exclusives that will give us a name in market.
This role calls for someone with a deep understanding of key people operating within the industry and a strong network of existing contacts whose voice and opinion would be a good fit for the publication, so that they may contribute to drumming up engagement from our audience across the site and socials.
The Commissioning Editor will also work in tandem with the Managing Editor to edit copy produced by reporters on the team as needed.
The Commissioning Editor will be required to:
- Commission and editing everything from daily news hits to larger features and exclusives from key and emerging voices in the Web3/blockchain space
- Manage the commissioning process end to end: evaluating pitches for their suitability, providing a clear brief, working with contributors to developing their stories to ensure they are of the high quality that our readers will come to expect and all deadlines are met
- Negotiate agreements and talent contracts with contributors, working closely with Finance to ensure they’re onboarded correctly
- Manage a tight annual commissioning budget, fastidiously tracking pay rates and other spending to ensure there are no overages
- Be our ‘quality’ gatekeeper, who makes sure everything we produce lives up to its potential, and never lets good enough go out the door
- Work as part of a close-knit editorial team, editing copy produced by reporters on the team as needed
- Develop and maintain our in-house style guides
- Meet regularly with key contacts to build relationships, secure editorial exclusives and ensure that the brand remains at the forefront of the Web3 community
- Keep fully abreast of the Web3 news cycle to ensure that our coverage is timely, informed and unique
The position calls for someone with:
- Demonstrated experience in, and passion for, Web3 – with a finger firmly on the pulse of the latest news and developments in blockchain
- 3+ years of experience in a senior features or editorial role, commissioning and editing long and short form journalism
- A comprehensive network of existing contacts within the blockchain space, both local and international
- The ability to generate unique and brilliant feature ideas across a wide variety of subjects
- A flair for storytelling and a proven track record of identifying trends and topics to cover – and the best way in which to write and engage with an audience
- Highly skilled at building stories and editing at speed within a CMS
- Strong understanding of SEO
- An excellent eye for detail
- Tertiary qualification in journalism or a related discipline
This is a full-time role based in Australia, and can be fully remote (though Pedestrian Group does have offices in both Sydney and Melbourne).
To apply, please submit your CV and cover letter detailing why you are the right fit for this role and pitch three story ideas that focus on the innovative leaders, companies or brands shaping the future of tech through blockchain technology. You can find some of our stories here: https://thechainsaw.com.
*About Pedestrian Group*
Pedestrian Group is Australia’s leading youth-centred publisher, reaching a unique audience of more than 4.16 million Aussies per month, and more 18 to 39-year-olds than any other publisher. It’s home to PEDESTRIAN.TV, VICE Australia, Refinery29 Australia, Lifehacker Australia, Gizmodo Australia, and Kotaku Australia, as well as Open Air Cinemas. It is wholly owned by Nine Entertainment Co., Australia’s largest and most diverse media company.