Business Reporter - The Chainsaw
Posted 19 Sep 2022
Closes 19 Oct 2022
Pedestrian Group (Winner – Publishing Company of the Year, Mumbrella Publish Awards 2021) is seeking a talented and knowledgeable Business Reporter to join the team behind The Chainsaw, Australia’s first Web3-focused publication.
Reporting to the Managing Editor and working closely with the Head of Editorial, the Business Reporter will be responsible for pitching and writing insightful and well-researched news hits, features and profiles on key and emerging people, companies and trends shaping the Web3 space – for better and for worse.
This role is an ideal opportunity for a Reporter – ideally with a background in tech and/or finance reporting – who has a deep understanding of (and borderline obsession with) blockchain technology and the various industries it is disrupting.
The Business Reporter will be required to:
- Pitch, research, and write varied forms of content, from quick news hits to long-form investigations
- Secure in-depth interviews with founders, thought leaders and other people of note in the Web3 space
- Meet regularly with key Web3 contacts to build relationships, secure editorial exclusives and ensure that the brand remains at the forefront of the Web3 community
- Analyse and assess on-chain and traditional markets data to identify trends on which we can provide thoughtful commentary
- Stay up to date with a fast-moving space and be fully immersed in the worlds of blockchain and how it intersects with all industries
- Engage with our community across multiple social touch points, including Discord, Twitter, LinkedIn and more
- Follow best practices for SEO and social optimisation
The position calls for someone with:
- Deep knowledge of, and experience within, blockchain technology, with a strong emphasis on how it intersects with business and industries
- A genuine and sustained passion for technology and the future of the industry
- The ability to sort fact from fiction, calling on both primary and secondary sources
- An understanding of the financial regulatory environment in Australia
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Demonstrable writing experience within business markets
- Enthusiasm for experimenting with new ways of storytelling (while the role is primarily text-based, experience doing on-camera work is a bonus)
- A keen understanding of journalistic ethics
This is a full-time role based in Australia, and can be fully remote (though Pedestrian Group does have offices in both Sydney and Melbourne).
To apply, please submit your CV and cover letter detailing why you are the right fit for this role and pitch three story ideas that tell the story of innovative leaders, companies or brands shaping the future of tech through blockchain technology. You can find some of our business stories here: https://thechainsaw.com/business/
*About Pedestrian Group*
Pedestrian Group is Australia’s leading youth-centred publisher, reaching a unique audience of more than 4.16 million Aussies per month, and more 18 to 39-year-olds than any other publisher. It’s home to PEDESTRIAN.TV, VICE Australia, Refinery29 Australia, Lifehacker Australia, Gizmodo Australia, and Kotaku Australia, as well as Open Air Cinemas. It is wholly owned by Nine Entertainment Co., Australia’s largest and most diverse media company.