Pedestrian Group (Winner – Publishing Company of the Year, Mumbrella Publish Awards 2021) is on the lookout for a gun Afternoon/Nights Writer to join the PEDESTRIAN.TV team and give us a hand creating that spicy content you know and love.
Firstly and perhaps most importantly, the right candidate will be a night owl who comes alive in the PM, specifically between the hours of 2.30-11. Are you a vampire? Fine with us!
This person will be a news and pop culture obsessive; a true all-rounder who can sniff out stories and write confidently about a range of topics, including politics, internet culture, reality TV, social issues, music and more. If you’re the kind of person everyone wants on their pub trivia team because of your well-rounded brain, then we need you.
You will also understand and be able to execute the PEDESTRIAN.TV tone, have a ripping sense of humour, be able to work independently, and be ready to hit the ground running in our fast-paced yet supportive and collaborative newsroom.
We’re keen for a candidate who:
- Can work shifts covering 2:30pm – 11pm
- Has a Bachelor’s degree in media, communications, or journalism (preferred but not mandatory)
- Has 1-2 years experience working in a fast-paced newsroom
- Can confidently write about a range of topics for P.TV’s 18-34 audience including local and international news, entertainment, quirky Aussie content (think snakes rooting in someone’s ceiling) and social issues
- Has their finger on the pulse of online conversation, from what’s popping off on TikTok to the biggest Reddit story of the day
- Has a unique tone of voice or point of view
- Isn’t afraid to pick up the phone in pursuit of a cracking yarn (remember phones??)
- Has experience in optimising stories for SEO
- Has experience posting to Facebook, Instagram and Twitter business pages
The role is a full-time position and is based out of Pedestrian Group’s offices in either Sydney and Melbourne.
Please note: Pedestrian Group strictly adheres to the JPMA (Journalists Published Media Award), which means this role is subject to penalty rate loading due to the nature of the hours worked.
If you’re keen to join us, send us the following:
- A cover letter written in your best understanding of P.TV’s trademark spicy tone. Go on, give it a red hot crack! The spicier, the better
- Your CV (feel free to get creative)
- Relevant examples of your work
We can’t wait to meet you.
*About Pedestrian Group*
Pedestrian Group is Australia’s leading youth-centred publisher, reaching a unique audience of more than 4.16 million Aussies per month, and more 18 to 39-year-olds than any other publisher. It’s home to PEDESTRIAN.TV, VICE Australia, Refinery29 Australia, Lifehacker Australia, Gizmodo Australia, and Kotaku Australia, as well as Open Air Cinemas. It is wholly owned by Nine Entertainment Co., Australia’s largest and most diverse media company.
- Contact Name: Josie Rozenberg-Clarke
- Contact Email: email@example.com